Wednesday 14 April 2010

Prejudice.

Me and my mum had a conversation this morning about prejudice and how it could easily be stopped. If schools introduced children to controversial issues at a young age, wouldn't it solve all the problems with parents raising their children with their own prejudice. If children understood these things maybe they'd be less against them. Let's take Homosexuality for example. I don't think it's ever been mentioned in school, both primary and secondary. Luckily I've grown up around it, with a mum, a sister, and 3 best-friends that are lesbians I think I'm pretty accepting. But that's because my mum raised me to respect everyone, regardless of ethnicity, religion, background, sexuality etc. If children are being raised in a home where the parents have a prejudice against one of these things, then it's bound to have some sort of impact on the child.
This is why I think that education fails. Sure they teach us to count, to read and write, to do some basic scientific stuff, but in the end is that really what we need? We as people need to respect everyone and accept them for who they are. When it all boils down to it, we are ALL human.

1 comment:

  1. arent you a little brain box. anyway, nice blog (y) ;]

    ReplyDelete